Post Storm Information (10-1-22)
Posted on Saturday, October 01, 2022
Post Storm Guidelines:
• Town Staff is working diligently to mitigate the effects of the storm.
• Be patient as the Town begins the clean-up process.
• Avoid walking and/or driving through flood water.
• Be aware of electrical wires and other dangerous debris.
Water & Sewer operations are back to normal
Preliminary Damage Assessment:
Property Owners on canal streets are strongly encouraged to carefully inspect their homes for damages due to flooding
Roof and shingle damage
Fence and pool damage
Deck and railing damage
Frontal dune damage
• West End
West of the Highrise, high erosion and severe walkway damage observed
• All vehicles, including golf carts, should be PUSHED out from underneath any structures that experienced flooding BEFORE attempting to start them.
• We also recommend disconnecting vehicle batteries as an additional precaution against house fires. There is a possibility of sparking which could lead to an electrical fire in the garage or storage area, possibly resulting in the loss of life or dwelling.
• Food may spoil if refrigerator power is off more than a few hours. Freezers will keep food several days if doors are not opened after power failure, but do not refreeze food once it begins to thaw.
• Notify your insurance agent or broker of any loss and leave word where you can be contacted.
• Make temporary repairs to protect property from further damage or looting. Use only reputable contractors (sometimes in the chaotic days following a disaster, unscrupulous operators will prey on the unsuspecting) - check with Ocean Isle Beach Town Hall for a list of reputable contractors. Keep all receipts for material used.
• Town Center Park is still closed to the public and will re-open as soon as possible.
• Regular trash pick up is scheduled for Tuesday. Recycling will also be picked-up on Tuesday.
• All items should be inside your polycarts. GFL (the Town’s sanitation service provider) is NOT responsible for picking up storm debris or any items left outside polycarts.
• Brunswick County landfill and convenience centers open as usual Saturday, Oct. 1.