AMENDED Proclamation of a State of Emergency (V4)
Post Storm Assessment and Directives
Proclamation Originally Issued July 31, 2020 – 4:00pm
Curfew Issued 9pm (8-3-2020) – UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
WHEREAS, N.C.G.S. Chapters 160A, 166A and 14 authorize municipalities to declare the existence of a State of Emergency; and
WHEREAS, by ordinance the Town of Ocean Isle Beach has heretofore authorized the Mayor to proclaim the existence of a State of Emergency and to declare orders for evacuation, curfew and various other restrictions and prohibitions; and
WHEREAS, Hurricane Isaias made direct landfall at Ocean Isle Beach, causing numerous fires, power and sewer outages and structural damages which makes it difficult for public officials to maintain public safety or to adequately protect lives, safety or property and that the same poses imminent risk to the life, safety, health and welfare of the people within the Town of Ocean Isle Beach.;
NOW, THEREFORE, by the authority vested in the Mayor by ordinance of the Town of Ocean Isle Beach, the undersigned Mayor of the Town of Ocean Isle Beach does hereby extend the State of Emergency and further hereby imposes the following orders, prohibitions and restrictions:
- Bridge – Bridge remains closed to all traffic.For individuals who leave the island, you will not be able to return to the island until the bridge re-opens. Please stay on your property at all times.
- Curfew – Curfew remains in effect until further notice.This includes driving, walking, biking, golf carts, etc.Individuals are required to stay on their property so that Town Staff can make necessary repairs to vital infrastructure.Police will be enforcing this directive.
- The island is closed to visitors for the remainder of this week due to the high level of damage to infrastructure including sewer systems, power, and debris.
- Phase 1 of Re-Entry - Once the island is deemed safe for re-entry and sewer/power/water services are restored, Property Owners/Business Owners with decals or other proof of ownership will be allowed back on the island to assess their property.
- Phase 2 of Re-Entry (TBD) – Contractors with decals will be allowed back on the island. Contractors without decals will be able to purchase decals at the base of the bridge.
- Updates will be issued through the Town Website (www.oibgov.com), Facebook, and CodeRED Emergency Notification System.
This the 4th day of August, 2020, at 10:30am.