A PROCLAMATION DECLARING A STATE OF EMERGENCY IN THE TOWN OF OCEAN ISLE BEACH IN RESPONSE TO COVID-19 PANDEMIC
March 23, 2020
THAT WHEREAS, COVID-19 is a respiratory disease that can result in death or serious illness to persons affected thereby, including citizens and residents of the Town of Ocean Isle Beach; and
WHEREAS, the World Health Organization has declared COVID-19 a Public Health Emergency of International Concern and a global pandemic; and
WHEREAS, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (“CDC”) has determined that COVID-19 is a public health threat globally and specifically in the United States and that travel restrictions should be implemented, and mass gatherings be prohibited; and
WHEREAS, the United States Department of Health and Human Services Secretary has declared a public health emergency in the United States for COVID-19; and
WHEREAS, the Governor of the State of North Carolina declared a State of Emergency on March 10, 2020, in order to prevent the spread of COVID-19; and
WHEREAS, the President of the United States has declared that the COVID-19 outbreak in the United States constitutes a national emergency; and
WHEREAS, declaring a state of emergency and imposing the restrictions and prohibitions ordered herein is necessary to maintain and protect the public health;
NOW, THEREFORE, the Board of Commissioners for the Town of Ocean Isle Beach, pursuant to Article 1A of Chapter 166A of the North Carolina General Statutes, does hereby find that an imminent threat to the public health exists in the Town of Ocean Isle Beach and hereby declares a State of Emergency within the entire jurisdiction of the Town of Ocean Isle Beach.
FURTHERMORE, in response to said Declaration, BE IT ORDAINED by the Board of Commissioners for the Town of Ocean Isle Beach that the following prohibitions and restrictions are hereby adopted and implemented within the Town of Ocean Isle Beach:
- Restrict access to all public municipal buildings to essential staff and Town Officials only. All public interaction with staff shall be limited to phone, email or text.
- Discontinuance of Short Term Rentals – All rental agencies and property owners that rent properties within the Town of Ocean Isle Beach are instructed to have all current renters, who rent for a period of less than 3 months’ duration, and their invitees, vacate the premises and leave the Town of Ocean Isle Beach no later than 2:00pm on March 25th, 2020. Effective immediately, there shall be no new rental occupancies of any nature or duration within the Town of Ocean Isle Beach until April 6th, 2020.
- All public parking and parking within the Town Right-of-Ways (ROW) is prohibited with the exception of Town Employees, Government officials and Contractors. All one-way streets that provide public parking will be closed.
- All previously approved Group Activity Applications are hereby revoked. Applicant should contact the Town regarding rescheduling these events.
- The Ocean Isle Beach Community Center and other public restroom facilities will be closed until further notice.
- Restrict public gathering to groups of no more than 10 persons at all public parks and on the Beach.
- Property owners and renters are encouraged to stay close to home and follow social distancing protocol.
- The Town encourages all individuals and business owners to adhere to CDC, federal and State guidelines regarding COVID-19.
- Reserve the right to impose further restrictions deemed necessary as the Pandemic progresses.
Effective Monday March 23, 2020, these restrictions are adopted by the Board of Commissioners and shall remain in force until rescinded or amended by the Mayor in collaboration with the Board of Commissioners.
This the 23rd day of March 2020.
TOWN OF OCEAN ISLE BEACH